Inspired from a recipe from vegetarian cookbook “My New Roots”, I really like these towers for different reasons.
– They’re a way to have what is essentially a mixed salad presented a different way! This look gets the taste buds all excited : )
– This is a very balanced and nourishing meal with all the vitamins, minerals and veggie proteins you need.
– You could prepare just a quinoa or just a kasha salad but mixing the sweetish quinoa with the earthy buckwheat works beautifully
– As per usual I like to prepare a large quantity of each component so I can reuse them separately over the next lunches or dinners.
Ingredients – 4 persons +
- Butternut squash – 1 or 2 so as to have enough neck length without the whole in the middle! Cut into slices about 1.5cm thick
- 1 mug quinoa
- 1 mug kasha (toasted buckwheat seeds in organic shops)
- 1 tin white flageolet beans
Vinaigrette « high green »
- Chimichurri sauce (see separate recipe here)
- 1 tsp capers
- 1 TBSP slivers black olives – optional
Spread for the butternut slices
- Avocado + lemon + S&P
- Fresh goats’ cheese
- A few leaves of rocket or lamb’s lettuce
Preheat the oven at 180°C or th 6.
- Plan 2 or 3 slices per person depending on how tall you want the stack to be
- Place the 8 or 12 slices on a tray covered with baking paper.
- Season with salt and pepper and cook for 25/30 minutes
- Rinse the quinoa and place in a pan covered with 1,1/2 mug of water and a pinch of sea salt.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 15/18 mins covered.
- If necessary, add a little water but not too much as what you really want is for all the water to be absorbed by the quinoa. To make it more digest you may want to soak it for 2 hours or even overnight. It will need a few minutes less cooking.
- At the end of cooking (when the little “tails” have appeared), uncover and cool.
- Rinse the kasha and place in a pan with 2 mugs of water and a pinch of sea salt.
- Bring to a boil and simmer uncovered for 5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and cover for a couple of minutes.
- Rinse to avoid the buckwheat from carrying on cooking
- Cool it down.
Vinaigrette « high green »:
- In a jam-jar, mix 1 or 2 TBSP of chimichurri sauce (more or less for a more or less green taste), capers, olives, salt and pepper, 6 TBSP of olive oil.
- Close the jar and shake!
- It’s ready. Make it in large quantities. This dressing is even tastier over the next few days.
Mixing of the quinoa/kasha/beans salad
- Miss a mix of cooked quinoa, ½ mug of cooked kasha and 1 mug of white beans
- Mix in the vinaigrette (start with 4 TBSP and add more if necessary – to avoid it being too wet)
Putting it together per plate
- Spread one side of each butternut slice with the avocado OR goats cheese mix.
- Place 1 slice in the centre of each plate.
- Place 1 or 2 TBSP of the quinoa / kasha mix over each butternut
- Add another slice of butternut with spread and continue until you’ve used up the 2 or 3 slices.
- Add a few salad leaves and drizzle a little vinaigrette + capers if wished over the stack / salad leaves.