Spinach and courgette soup can be the kind of soup you make in minutes – just make sure you always have on hand in the freezer some spinach. Add a diced up courgette. Some veggie broth from a cube of organic bouillon and it’s ready. Decorate with a few peas or a few cubes of courgette you have reserved. Comforting. Luscious. Oh and can be eaten hot or cold.
INGREDIENTS – for 4/6 people
- 2 tbsp coconut oil or ghee or butter
- 2 medium onions
- 4 garlic cloves (optional)
- 2 good pinches of salt
- 500g spinach (if you use cubes of frozen spinach, pour some boiling water over them and leave them for 10 minutes or so to start defrosting
- 1 large courgette or 2 medium ones diced
- 3-4 mugs / 1 litre of vegetable bouillon (more or less depending on whether you want a thicker or thinner type of soup). Bouillon cubes added to the water also work.
- 1 tbsp of grilled sesame oil
- Optional: gomasio
- Mince the onions and the garlic if using.
- In a large pot, gently heat up the oil.
- Add the diced onions and the salt and fry for 5-10 minutes until the onions become slightly coloured.
- Add the garlic if using, then the courgette cubes and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the spinach and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Add 3 mugs of bouillon.
- Transfer the whole lot to a blender (or to a Nutribullet once lukewarm to cold and in batches) and blitz until nice and smooth. Add more bouillon if you wish.
- Serve decorated with a swirl of sesame oil and gomasio or a mix of grilled seeds (sunflower, sesame, pumpkin) if using.
- Keeps in the fridge for 3 days. Even nicer the next day! Eat hot or cold.