This cake is a little twist on the carrot cake, with a little goat or coconut yogurt drizzle to jazz it up too J.
Made with courgettes instead of carrots to give you a moist cake, gluten free flours are a mix of almond powder, quinoa and rice flours. I always have quinoa flakes on hand and to make flour I just whizz them for a few seconds in my Nutribullet. So easy and practical!
To sweeten I personally tend to use yacon sirup the latest find that will not spike your insulin but because it is not always available at organic shops, you can substitute with maple syrup or honey.
It’s a nice cake to make for kids, it’s full of fibre and balanced nutritionnally speaking plus it’s another way to use up courgettes in summer!
INGREDIENTS for 1 cake / 8 people
- 150g ground almonds
- 50g gluten free flour (I use 25g each of quinoa and rice flour) – to make quinoa flour I simply whizz quinoa flakes for a few seconds in my Nutribullet
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- ¼ tsp Himalayan pink salt
- 2 eggs
- 150g courgette
- 150ml honey or maple / yacon syrup
- 60ml olive oil
- 1 lime zest
- 50g chopped pistachios
- 125g coconut or goat’s yoghurt
- 1 lime juice
- 1 tbsp honey or maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 180°C and line a loaf tin approximately 9 inches / 22cm long with baking paper
- Mix in the ground almonds, gluten free flours, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, lime zest and salt into a bowl.
- Roughly chop the courgettes in little irregular pieces (this is important as we don’t want them to be small even pieces in the cake once we blend).
- Put the eggs, olive oil, syrup into the blender on medium speed for 30 seconds or until combined. Add in the courgettes and blend for about 5-6 seconds. You do not want it to become a complete liquid.
- Mix into the dry ingredients.
- Chop the pistachios and mix into the mixture.
- Pour into the loaf tin and put into the oven for 35-40 minutes. Halfway through, cover the cake with parchment paper to stop it from browning too much. The cake is ready when a knife comes out clean.
- Leave to cool.
- Make the drizzle before serving: mix in the yoghurt, lime juice and syrup and drizzle over the cake.
- Serve and enjoy!