I don’t eat granola every day, more of a treat or when I have a fancy for it. But between my homemade ones – this one and my sublime buckwheat groats one – I know it’s healthy, balanced with good fats and proteins and won’t send my sugar levels rocketing high.
This particular recipe starts with a mixture of oats and quinoa flakes, then has some add-ins (like nuts), some coconut oil and natural sweeteners. These ingredients below which I add make it even healthier and keep it low on the glycaemic scale.
- Quinoa flakes for extra protein and fibre
- Nuts & seeds make the granola more filling AND helps balance our blood sugar with the good fats and protein.
- Less oil. And here I add some apple compote to bind it all.
- Natural sugars. Ideally use yakon syrup available at organic shops. It’s a natural sweetener made from Peruvian yakon root, is low glycaemic and a fantastic prebiotic. It has beneficial effects on the metabolism overall. If you can’t find it, replace with the same quantity of coco or maple syrup. The apple compote also lends its natural sweetness.
INGREDIENTS – pour environ 15 portions
- 1,2/2 cups gluten free rolled oats (or raw buckwheat groats, not the “kasha” type for a totally gluten free version)
- 1,1/2cup quinoa flakes
- 1cup pecans chopped
- 1cup sliced almonds
- 1tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/3cup coconut oil melted
- 1/4cup yakon or coco or maple syrup (see above about this natural sweetener)
- 1/4cup unsweetened apple compote (about 100g)
- 1/2cup each chopped dried apples and goji berries
- Preheat oven to 160C / th5.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all the dry ingredients, except for the apples.
- In a separate mixing bowl, beat liquid ingredients together. Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir with a wooden spoon until fully combined and all the dry ingredients are coated.
- Spoon the contents of the mixing bowl onto a baking sheet. Bake the granola 30 minutes until the granola has browned. Turn it around with a large spoon and bake for another 20 minutes. Keep checking it so it doesn’t burn as ovens are all different.
- When the granola has finished baking, stir in the chopped apples and goji berries.
- Cool fully before adding placing in an airtight container.
- Serve with your choice of milks, yogurts or use as a topping