I’ve just come back from the market with a huge bunch of fresh parsley. On top of doing this great good-for-everything chimichurri sauce, I love it in this soup. Parsley is not just garnish!
On top of huge flavour, parsley is one of our great superfoods which helps fight free radicals and reduce inflammation (these two are always involved in disease) with its chlorophyll, vitamin C, antioxidants, vitamin A in the form of beta-carotene. And did you know it’s got more iron than spinach per cup (about 30% compared to 20%). A great reason not to use it just as garnish but like here liberally in this soup, in smoothies (pre and during period is fantastic) and as a salad leaf.
This soup takes just 10-15 min. Just fry some onions, add peas and broth – and the parsley at the last minute for a little wilting. Blend till smooth. Done. Delicious as is or chill for later.
Make quite a bit because it keeps for 3-4 days in the fridge. It actually gets more delicious as the flavours blend in together.
INGREDIENTS – Serves 4/6
- 1 TBSP of coconut oil (or ghee)
- 2 medium onions
- 4 cloves garlic (optional)
- a couple pinches sea salt
- 500g / 1lb. shelled peas (frozen is fine)
- 2 cups / 100g flat leaf parsley, leaves only
- ½ cucumber, peeled, seeds removed and cut into thick chunks
- 3-4 cups / 1 litre vegetable broth (depending on how fluid you like it). Organic cubes added to water is fine!
- Zest of ½ lemon
- 1 TBSP lemon juice
- 1 TBSP cold-pressed olive oil
- Roughly chop onions and mince garlic.
- In a large pan, heat the coconut oil.
- When melted, add onions and salt, stir to coat, cook for 5-10 minutes until onions have browned.
- Add garlic, stir to coat, cook three minutes.
- Add 3 cups hot vegetable broth, (reserving 1 cup for blending)
- Add peas, bring to a simmer and turn off the heat.
- Add the cucumber chunks and fold in the parsley to wilt leaves. When the parsley has wilted, transfer the soup to a blender and blend on high until smooth (add extra broth if desired).
- Add lemon zest, juice, and olive oil, blend. Season to taste.
- Serve as is, or let cool slightly, then place in the fridge until fully chilled.
- Serve decorated with a little olive oil, parsley and a few peas.
- Keeps for 3-4 days in the fridge.