Here is another gorgeous soup adapted from the Hemsley sisters – fantastically healthy with the cruciferous broccoli but also a filling meal in itself thanks to the proteins in the white beans.
With its anti-inflammatory ginger and lots of chlorophyll from the coriander you have a perfect soup-meal. To serve add a drizzle of walnut or olive oil or of chimichurri sauce or toasted seeds.
INGREDIENTS for 4 people
- 1 tbsp. coconut oil
- 2 large onions roughly chopped
- Optional – 4 garlic cloves diced
- A large piece of fresh root ginger (about 160g) – unpeeled if organic – roughly chopped
- A small pinch of cayenne pepper
- 600g broccoli, slice the stalks and roughly chop the florets
- 1 litre veggie broth
- 1 tin (250g drained weight) of white haricot beans
- 4 large handfuls of fresh parsley
- juice of 1 large lemon
- 3 tbsp. tamari or 2–3 large pinches of sea salt
- Black pepper, to taste
- Olive oil
- Heat the coconut oil in a large saucepan over a low heat and gently fry the onion, garlic, ginger and cayenne pepper for 5 minutes
- Add the broccoli stalks and the broth. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat immediately and simmer on a medium heat for 8 minutes
- Add the broccoli florets, beans and parsley. After 5 minutes cooking, use a knife to pierce the broccoli. If tender, then turn the heat off and leave to cool a bit.
- Blend in a blender or with a blending stick.
- Add the fresh lime or lemon juice, the tamari or sea salt and pepper and blend.
- Taste and check for seasoning
- Serve with a drizzle of oil, extra chimichurri sauce or toasted seeds.