I love these Asian style cabbage rolls are a great twist on stuffed cabbage. They are light and healthy, yet still a filling one pot meal. They are perfect for busy weeknights too as you can prepare rolls ahead of time (without water) and refrigerate until ready for baking. And the veggie version is so delicious too! Simply fry some mushrooms in coconut oil before mixing with the rest of the ingredients.
- 1 lb lean ground turkey or chicken or for a veggie version, replace with 400g fried mushrooms
- 2 carrots shredded
- 1 cup cooked brown rice or quinoa
- Optional: 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Tbsp ginger minced
- 1 small onion minced
- 3 Tbsp tamari sauce
- 2 Tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 2 tsp rice vinegar
- 1 tsp chili sauce
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Leaves from 1 large head of Napa cabbage (Chinese cabbage)
- Preheat your oven to 200 C.
- Prepare your filling by gently combining uncooked turkey, shredded carrots, cooked rice (or quinoa), garlic, ginger, onion, tamari sauce, sesame oil, rice vinegar, chili sauce and a pinch of salt and black pepper in a large mixing bowl.
- To make your leaves easy to roll, use a rolling pin to flatten to make leaves more pliable. If you find that your leaves are on the smaller side, use two to roll, overlapping both ends to make one big leaf.
PREPARE THE ROLLS
- Spoon your filling to each leaf. Carefully roll each leaf tightly and place side by side in a large baking dish. Pour 1 mug of water over stuffed cabbage rolls and cover with aluminium foil. Bake in preheated oven for about 30-35 minutes or until completely cooked through.
- Serve with juices from baking dish. Enjoy!